I will guide you to Using the IF Function in Excel and for a better understanding of it. The IF function can perform a logical test and return one value for a TRUE result, and another for a FALSE result. For example, to “pass” scores above 70: =IF(A1>70,”Pass”,”Fail”). More than one condition can be tested by nesting IF functions. The IF function can be combined with logical functions like AND and OR.
A Practical Approach in Using the IF Function in Excel
In this post, i will use an example to explain it. This example is one of the calculations done in civil engineering. When calculating for slabs in the reinforced concreting, it is good to know whether a slab is one-way or a two-way slab. A One-way slab is a type that the ratio of the longer span(L) to the shorter span(B) is greater or equal to 2. Otherwise, it is a two-way slab.
A Practical Approach VIDEO
In Excel, the IF function will be used to determine this easily.
The Syntax IF Function in Excel
The Syntax for the IF function in excel is below
=IF (logical_test, [value_if_true], [value_if_false])
Arguments in IF Function in Excel
- logical_test – A value or logical expression that can be evaluated as TRUE or FALSE.
- value_if_true – [optional] The value to return when logical_test evaluates to TRUE.
- value_if_false – [optional] The value to return when logical_test evaluates to FALSE.
Use the IF function to determine whether a Slab is a One-Way or Two-Way Slab.
- Input the value of the Longer Span of the Slab (L) in any of the cell (say A1).
- Input the value of the shorter Span of the slab (B) in any of the cell (say A2).
- Compute for the result using the =L/B ie (=A1/A2).
- Hit the enter key on the keyboard to display the result (lets say cell A3).
- Move to another cell within the worksheet to determine whether a Slab is a One-Way or Two-Way Slab.
- Use the = IF (logical_test, [value_if_true], [value_if_false]).
- In the logical_test parameter, hold down the CTRL key and select the cell (cell A3 from step 4 above) then add a greater than or equal to 2. (A3>=2).
- Use the Keyboard to input the value of it [value_if_true]. In this case, the value should be “This is a one-way slab”.
- Use the Keyboard to input the value of it [value_if_false]. In this case, the value should be “This is a two-way slab”.
- Hit the enter key to see the results. Any change in the value of the result will automatically display whether a Slab is a One-Way or Two-Way Slab.